Friday, March 2, 2007

Kittens

My cat Cali is one seriously miserable animal right now. She is 2 years old and not fixed (I know, its terrible, I should have had her fixed ages ago however, I've only been her owner for half that time.)
She had one litter of kittens on March 8 of last year after a friend let her run out the door. We've since bought a new door and I thought all was well. There were plans to get her fixed but, due to treatments for skin issues, the vet kept delaying.
This fall I replaced the sub-flooring in the laundry room and did a rough cut in the floor around two pipes figuring I would place the finishing piece in when we put in the new flooring. The small hole is behind the dryer, stuffed with insulation and I thought, too small for the cats.
At the end of December I started noticing muddy footprints in the kitchen and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. All 3 cats were present and accounted for, the paw prints didn't smell, I was at a loss. After about a week, there was one really clear set of prints when I got home. They lead from the top of the dryer to the food dish and then to the top of the bearded dragon enclosure where my darling cat Cali was resting.
I moved the dryer to find the insulation in a pile in the corner and her collar laying by the hole. She removed the insulation, climbed into the hole, tore the sub insulation, got under the trailer and dug out under the new skirting all to return in plenty of time for me to get home from work. If it wasn't for the muddy paws, I would have never known.
All this effort for a few minutes with the neighborhood Tom.
Now she is really pregnant, to the point where I can feel little kittie paws poking back at me when I rub her belly. She's due any day now and I'm hoping for a really healthy litter. The last time there were 3 kittens but only 2 survived. She has a nesting place, has been eating plenty of kitten food and hopefully the little puff balls will be healthy and happy. Then we can find them good homes and Momma cat, Cali can look forward to having the parts removed so she won't go through this again.
Though, as I pointed out to her, she went through a lot of effort to get this way this time.
BTW, the hole is plugged...no more outside forays.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no... (LOL ok, I'm sorry, I'm laughing...)

    We waited two years to get our last cat, Dusty, spayed. we always meant to do it but just didn't get around to it...until she started oozing pus and had to have an emergency spay. On the whole, I'd have preferred a litter of kittens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, I can look back and laugh at the whole escape plan now. It suprised me more than anything else. I have a 2 year old calico that normally only weighs 6 lbs, has no bottom front teeth (her tongue sticks out all the time). She was used as the ball in a game of kickball by some teenagers when she was ~7weeks old and rescued by a friend of a friend. She also has an obsessive cleaning issue. To be honest, I didn't think she was smart enough to pull off such a feat. Boy was I wrong, not only did she go through 19 steps to get out of the house, she tried to cover up the deed as well (Blast the muddy paws and pregnancy!)

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!