Friday, June 13, 2008

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes


I find it ironic that the day I'm going in to Duke University to become part of a smoking cessation study, there is so much smoke in the air I can't see across the parking lot at work. A forest fire has been burning in Hyde, Tyrell and Washington Counties in a a wildlife refuge since June 1. It was started by a lightning strike. The fire (Currently over 40,000 acres) is close to 100 miles away from me but the smoke is blowing in due to winds from the south east. It smells like a barbecue gone horribly wrong. Pray for rain for us. The fire is in the peat moss and could burn for months unless the area gets a really, really good soaking.
I'm still going to join the study at Duke. I'll let you know how it goes. Quitting on my own has never worked so I thought I could use the help.

2 comments:

  1. We have fires popping up all over the place here. It's just so freaking dry, and morons tossing butts out car windows abound...

    Good luck with the study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with everything. I'll keep you in my thoughts and pray for rain.

    BTW. there are three other books in the Time series by L'engle. The last one is call An Acceptable time and I've now read all 5 of them. You should pick up that last one if you haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!