Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Death of a Great Author

James Oliver Rigney Jr. better known to millions of people as Robert Jordan passed away last week from a rare blood disorder, primary amyloidosis with cardiomyopathy which caused the walls of his heart to thicken. He was 58.
Rigney Jr wrote the Wheel of Time series, a sweeping fantasy epic that I've been addicted to for years. The books were amazingly detailed, rich in a multitude of plots and character depth. I always made it a point to start rereading the series about 3-4 months before a new book would come out so I could catch up and remember all the important items.
My friend sent me a link to his obituary last week and I've been struggling with a little guilt since then. My first thought on reading the obit was, "@#$%, he died before he finished writing the series!" I did find out he was working on the last novel when he died. It's release date has been pushed back due to his illness a few times. I also know he was quoted as saying he had extensive notes so hopefully someone will be able to finish it and give his millions of loyal fans some closure on the fate of Rand Al Thor.
Reading his obituary I realized there was an extraordinary man behind the pseudonym with a family, hopes, dreams and I'm truly sorry to see him go as a person not just because he died before he could finish his life's work.
So here's to James Oliver Rigney Jr. I hope he's found something wonderful on the other side.

2 comments:

  1. this has nothing to do wih your post but yes, I have done some dragons. There are a couple of posts on my blog tht show some of my designs. If you are looking for something in specific then please don't hesitate to ask. I am not currently charging for any of my designs because I simply need the practice. For the ske of the betterment of my art work i would love to hear what you have in mind for your dragon. I'll see if I can't do one up for you if you're willing to let me. comment on my blog again or email me (you can get the email from my profile on blogger) Also, if you have any friends who would be interested in custom designs let them know to. I need all the ideas I can get while I am putting my portfolio together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people had that first thought of *&#^&#^ the series isn't DONE yet! But he left copious notes and spent his last few months making sure his wife (who has been his editor for years and knows his style) knew what the rest of the story was, where he wanted it to go, and how it's to end. When she's had time to regroup, she'll finish it for him, and the transition of authors should feel fairly seamless.

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!