Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Children Cometh

Well, I survived the return trip from Phoenix to home. I had enough frequent flyer miles to upgrade to first class and eat real food with real silverware on the flight in a seat I could actually comfortably sit in with leg room! I may have to try the first class thing again for long trips.
Once I returned my partner reminded me her grandchildren would be over to spend the night Saturday.
A 9 year old and a 2 year old boy...
In the house...
for 24 hours....
I thought, well, they always get bored, let's find something fun that will keep them busy and make tired at the same time. So we decided to go tubing at Peak N' Peak ski resort.
I am not a skiier. I tried it once with disasterous results and I've learned the older you get the more sled riding hurts. Tubing is different however. You have a big innertube that cushions you on your travel down the slopes. The slopes are professionally maintained. You don't have to walk uphill. Just hand your rope over to the tube lift person, sit down, hold on and get pulled to the top.
We discovered that children under 5 are not permitted so off I went with our roommate and my partner's 9 year old grandson to the Peak, leaving the 2 year old behind with Nana to watch movies. Suprising to me, we had a fabulous time. Tubing was a ton of fun with little work, we broke midway through the fun for hot chocolate and watched the crazy snowboarders go over jumps, and the 9 year old was really well behaved, and had a lot of fun.
I may have to go again before winter ends.
As far as the younger child goes, he had fun watching Nemo for the 8 millionth time and both kids were out cold by 1230 am (not bad for sleeping over on a weekend). Of course, they were up at 6 am the next morning but overall we had a lot of fun.
Watching the cats interact with the kids was a good laugh. The youngest cat, Curious George, had never really been around kids and spent a lot of time in hiding but his curious nature kept overcoming his fear and he would sneak out for a look at the fast, loud, little people running around. All three cats slept from Sunday afternoon when the kids left till Monday morning. The workout did them good...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your thoughts into words!