Friday, June 1, 2007

To my Alpha Phi Omega Brother

I joined Alpha Phi Omega in college. No, I am most certainly not a sorority chick. Alpha Phi Omega is a co-ed international service fraternity. Leadership through service. It was a great time with a great group of brothers.
I found out today, one of my brothers, Ed Dick, passed away two weeks ago from complications of liver failure. Ed was one of the bright people in my life, a lot of fun. During a regional conference in Louisville, KY one year we held a costume contest and 300+ lb Ed wore a nurses outfit (complete with skirt and hat). He didn't shave his face, legs or arms and stood there and said "Sponge Bath?" holding a sponge and basin. He won the contest by a landslide - way scarier than the monsters.
Ed, you were a great big brother and I hope you've gone on to a great party in the next life. Tonight is my evening to grieve, tomorrow I will go and party with the brothers as you requested. I hope you join us in spirit for awhile.
Here's to Alpha Phi Omega
Loyal Brothers we.
True to self and to each other
Firm in Loyalty
Daily working daily striving
Ever more to be
men (and women) of Alpha Phi Omega
Our Fraternity
Brothers clasp the hands of brothers,
Strong the circle we.
Ever mindful, ever serving
All Humanity.
Now we raise our grateful voices
In our song to thee
Men of Alpha Phi Omega
May we always be
ALPHA PHI OMEGA TIL THE DAY WE DIE! (and beyond)

We'll miss you Ed, God Speed.

4 comments:

  1. Alpha Phi Omega has a memorial service. It is both in the ritual book and on the national website. It is fairly flexible and can be used for both chapter only memorials or with family and friends. Let me know if you need help finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Naraht, we actually used the memorial service as part of the wake. Believe it or not, it was one of my Rho Chi brothers, Alan, who helped write it years ago. We held the memorial outside and from the time the first candle was lit to the end, the breeze stopped and the candles stayed lit.
    The service and the wake/party were exactly what Ed requested and I'd like to think he was looking down on all the people who cared about him. There were tears but there was also a lot of laughter and Ed wouldn't have had it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was really helpful... All the best

    Randy

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!