Friday, February 22, 2008

Cats not Kids

I get asked every so often, "Don't you want to have children?" My answer is usally, "I have cats not kids for a reason." I like kids, love my 5 nieces more than I could possibly describe, but I also have no drive what-so-ever to have a child of my own. Maybe I'm a little too much of a kid myself. I enjoy the duties of being the Ciocia (Polish for Aunt) Heather. I spoil my nieces and a few of my friends' children and grand children. Basically, I have all of the fun and very little of the work. Plus, I've been paying my one brother back for years of childhood torture (getting locked in the shed, scaring me, etc) by sending toys like the rock and play piano and the singing and dancing Elmo. If it makes noise and is somehow still educational, I will make sure it ends up in his house. I even taught the girls how to put batteries in.
Mostly, I'm happy I have cats. They're like permanent 3 year olds that I can leave unattended for hours or very occasionally weekend at a time. They give me love and attention, I give them great head scritches and fun sessions chasing the laser pointer dot and playing fetch with a cap or toy mouse.

6 comments:

  1. "I even taught the girls how to put batteries in."

    That's just so EVIL. I love it.

    Michele sent me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess, if this counts as "the up side coming up", once you get old enough, people don't try to persuade anymore, just assume you're too old. Being an aunt helps. I just rattle on about my niece and nephew and parent-people find that understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at teaching them how to put the batteries in themselves.
    I have a childless brother and his wife is a preschool teacher. I guess she gets enough kid time at work. Sadly they are not very attentive aunts and uncles to my children either. Sad because they are the only ones my kids have.
    Have a great weekend.
    Michele sent me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those ar ethe exact reasons i dont want kids. I have two younger sisters and one nephew and anouther nephew on the way

    I want to spoil them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had cats since I was about 6 years old; have two now and love them very much, but I wouldn't talk anything for my children. If you prefer not to have them, it is good that you don't. My daughter is a wonderful aunt to her 6 nieces and nephews and gives the same kind of toys!! Michele says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved my big cat
    love my three kids so much more

    thanks for the visit

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!