Thursday, August 9, 2007

Geek and Proud of It

I've come to accept and love all my personality quarks, the biggest of which, I think, is my basic status as a Geek. I was a smart kid. My parents have a photo of me trying to read when I was two. Never mind that the book was upside down, I wanted to read. I went to school a year early, I was only 4 when I started Kindergarten, and drove the teacher nuts because she would hand out an activity and I would read the directions and start. She would say, "Heather, don't start yet, you don't know what to do." and I would reply, "It says right here, 'Color #1 blue and #2 red."
I was a smart kid with a nice personality but I never quite fit in at school. My style never quite matched, I was never the cool one, never with the "in" crowd. Don't get me wrong, I had friends, but I was never in that really popular click. Come to think of it, that popular click really irritated me in high school.
I read and still read voraciously, finishing the Chronicles of Narnia very young and Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time series right after. Reading was a great escape where I could be anyone and go anywhere.
In middle school I cemented the Geek status by joining the band and playing a decent flute, even making it to honors band 2 years in a row for the Catholic Diocese (did I mention 5 years of Catholic school?).
High school brought an academic track of study, volleyball, newspaper, yearbook, health careers club, VIP peer group, oh and a little dabble in chorus and a musical.
It wasn't until college that I truly fit in or rather became comfortable with who I was and found others of a similar mind set. I was still a geek there getting a BS in Science while running the college newspaper, joining the AIDS action team as a certified HIV/AIDS educator and being a very happy member of Alpha Phi Omega coed international service fraternity where I learned to play pinochle and learned the call backs to Rocky Horror Picture show and all the lines to Monty Python's Holy Grail.
Now I revel in my geekdom. I love computers, writing, bad scifi movies, good scifi books and I'm even an admitted Trekker.
I'm the person full of useless bits of knowledge who likes to consume books and play on the Internet. I love to tell a good story and make people laugh. I've learned that I am way too geeky to ever properly speak some of the slang I hear in my training classes and unless I've got a significant amount of alcohol in me, dancing is not an option.
I am who I am and happy about it. I mentioned in the last post that I'm a proud Pittsburgh native. Believe me I am (Go Steelers!) but I'm also just a proud to be a geek.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear your a Steelers fan. I could be worse... you could be a Raiders fan! LOL It's ok, I'm a die-hard Niner's fan (you know, the first team to win five Super Bowls) and proud of it - even before the word dynasty was used in the same sentence.

    I became a geek later in life. Although I never took the plunge all the way, I am a geek at heart. Many of my best friends are geeks. I was the smart student who didn't apply himself.

    It is important to accept who we are, I am happy to hear that there are some among us who have.

    Michele sent me,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one geek to another - Go STILLERS!!!

    Yes, I fit your persona well - band, chorus, drama, newspaper, yearbook, MATH team!!! I did do sports too, but wasn't the "A squad" player. I chose to do more individual sports like skiing, track...I'm a self appointed computer geek, mostly self taught and proud of it - I'm a master of nothing, but know a little about everything (just enough to be dangerous!)

    Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Michele sent me! I know about being a geek - being smart in school wasn't cool...neither was reading or doing handcrafts...but, now I look at myself and I am proud of who I was and who I have become...

    Have a great week-end!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for geeks!!
    I never really fit in until I hit uni either... I suspect there's a lot of us out there!
    Michele sent me today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Smartie Pants! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, proud geek!!!! Michele sent me to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeyyyyy! I'm a geek, too, and have long embraced this quality. So many people talk about geekiness as if it's a bad thing. It makes me happy to see others embracing their inner geek! :) (PS - Laughed at the Rocky Horror/ Monty Python bit - was like reading about myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is a geek. Alot of our friends are geeks. :) I just like to use computers and when they don't work, I ask him to fix the problem. A geek is a good thing to be. I'm glad you have become comfortable with your own skin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a trekker? Well, I'm sure you must have seen my Journal!

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!