Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pittsburgh at Heart


I grew up 26 miles outside of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania in Raccoon Township, Beaver County (yes it's alright to snicker). Both of my grandfathers worked the steel mills and my father worked for the airlines for 40 years before retiring.

Though I don't live in the area anymore, Pittsburgh is still a big part of me. I caught an article about TV shows being filmed or based in Pittsburgh yesterday. That turned out to be an interesting read. When I was a child the Steel Mill industry was still very active and Pittsburgh was not an attractive looking city. Over the past 30 years the city has been transformed and has, in my humble opinion, one of the best skylines ever.
What I found interesting is the quote about Pittsburghers in the article, "A Pittsburgher is "somebody who is more down to earth, somebody who is a little more tougher,"
We Pittsburghers have, at heart, no matter what our professions and where we go, a blue collar outlook on life, you work hard, you play hard, you take care of each other.
If you don't believe me on the play hard thing, watch the fans when a Pittsburgh Steelers or Penguins game is on tv.
We also have our own version of English that is quite a bit different that anywhere else. First off, when a group of Pittsburgh natives get together enunciation goes out the window. Words are slid together and often not pronounced correctly: East Liberty is Ee sliberty, a sandwich is a sammich. We also have a lot of our own words: yinz - you guys, read up -- clean up or ready up, jagger bush -- a bush with thorns, jag someone -- poke fun at someone, gum band -- rubber band, crick -- creek, nebby/neb nose -- a nosey or overly curious person. If you want to learn more check out Pittsburghese. We also know how to poke fun at ourselves. Check out Chipped Ham Sam a Yappin Yinzer doll
My English is quite clear now thank-you-very-much however, the roommate had knee surgery in Pittsburgh (150 miles from home) two weeks ago and I went with her for her follow up appointment on Monday. Both her and my other half looked at me toward the end of the day and said, "Boy, it doesn't take much, does it?" I asked what they meant and they pointed out that 5 minutes of talking to a Pittsburgher and my Pittsburghese came back loud and clear. I can't help it though (nor would I) because I am and will always be a Proud Pittsburgh native.

9 comments:

  1. I found your blog through your comment about tattoos on Michele's site. I love this post about Pgh...I grew up/live about 2 hours east, and it's always my choice for a quick weekend roadtrip. It's a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopped by to say Hi - saw your post about your tattoos on Michele's today. I was very interested in the "labrys (double headed ax) which is a symbol of women power since it was the weapon of choice of the amazons" because I happen to belong to a motorcycle club called the Amazons!! I'll have to try to 'google' that! I'm a big fan of the south so have never been to Pittsburgh but your blog makes it sound very cool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, this is PRICELESS...would you believe that my hubby is from the 'Burgh???? I absolutely ADORE that city, and though I'm not native born and bred, I would love to be considered a Pitsburgher. I love Pittsburghese. It took me a great while to understand my MIL, as my hubby didn't have such a strong 'ese accent. My MIL reds up the house, has nebby neighbors, is careful not to fall on the slippy sidewalks, uses gumbands...I've eaten chipped ham, love the "Stillers", and understand my MIL fully now. Like you, my husband's Pittsburghese comes back with minimum exposure. If he talks to his buddy on the phone for more then 5 minutes, he's got the 'Burgh back in him!

    That photo is gorgeous, too. We have a panoramic of the city, showing The Point and Three Rivers Stadium before they got rid of it...the picture always hangs in a prominent location in our home, so that all can see it.

    BTW, my hubby's from the South Hills, Castle Shannon....went to KO and Duquesne University, taught in the local schools too, before joining the Army.....

    I KNEW I liked you for a reason, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to here from a few more burgh fans and one adopted Pittsburgher. We are our own breed. Just wait football season is coming and I can't wait to cheer the Steelers on (1 for 1 in preseason so far 20-7 win over New Orleans!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Michele sent me. I know what you mean about picking up an old accent. When I was in college, I had managed to ditch most of my "flat, midwestern twang" until a few minutes into a phone conversation with my great-aunt. My roommate literally didn't recognize my voice from down the hall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was in Pittsburgh about 4 years ago and loved it, despite the cold in April!! The Carnegie Museum was fabulous and restaurants were pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Heather! Michele sent ME this time!!
    I have never been to Pittsburgh before, but I want to go someday...it has so many interesting places that I want to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was incredibly interesting. I'm waaaaaaaaay down south, so I'm used to some strange dialects, but I've never heard "Pittsburghese" spoken. I got a kick out of the dictionary. Some work down south -- "djeet yet" immediately comes to mind.

    Here from Michele's. But I'm not leaving quite yet -- gotta go brush up on my new language!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pittsburgh is a place I've always wanted to visit. Now you've just given me the excuse: it's not that big a drive from where we live now.

    You speak eloquently about the virtue of hard work, of community, of honesty. It sounds like the kind of place I'd love to live.

    Michele sent me this time, but you're quickly becoming a must-read.

    ReplyDelete

Put your thoughts into words!