Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Gremlin in the House

Since the day we had the cable hooked up we’ve had issues.
First the cable box would reboot 7-8 times per day. Rebooting takes up to 10 minutes and can be especially irritating when you are on the last 10 minutes of your show. So we got a new box. That didn’t’ work. Picture would freeze up and pixilated and shows would not record on the DVR.

Next we got new caps on the ends of the coaxial cable and another new box.

A little better for a while and then back to the same issues. So out comes the senior technician. He calls us, “THAT house,” and replaces some connectors outside.

Last night in the middle of Family Guy I lost all my channels except TV Guide. Same issue. Pixilated, black screen, issues. So I can watch the TV Guide channel and get a list of what shows I can’t watch.

Called tech support and spent 20 minutes on hold waiting to get someone live. After explaining the multiple issues we’ve had she decides resetting the box will fix everything. I explain that I have already done a reboot. She says her master reset is different and should resolve the issue. So she reboots the box remotely and as it is starting to count down to diminishing the reboot she attempts to get off the phone with me.

Rep, “Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Me, “Yes, stay on the line until the box is finished booting and I test to see whether my cable works or not.”

Rep, ‘Wellllll, I can stay on the line for a few more moments.”

Me, “I understand you have time considerations on the call however, I spent 20 minutes on hold to get to you. What happens if you disconnect and my cable still isn’t working? I’ll have to call and wait another 20 minutes. Look the countdown is already at 6 now 4.”

Rep, ‘I understand Ma’am and it isn’t time it’s the number of calls.”

Me, “So what is the next step if this doesn’t work?” (I had a pretty good idea that it wouldn’t)

Rep, “We’ll have to schedule a technician to visit your house.”

Me, “It’s done booting lets take a look…oh goodie…all I have is the TV Guide channel and….nothing else.”

 

So a technician is coming to the house tomorrow morning. The crazy thing? Internet works fine. I’m going to ask the technician to pretend the cable has NEVER been hooked up to this house and start from scratch.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your thoughts into words!