Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let it Snow

We are having a fairly rare event here in the Raleigh, NC area...snow and lots of it. It is snowing hard enough to remind me of all my years in Erie, PA. Lots of snow -- up to 6 inches -- that will be completely gone by lunchtime Thursday.
A few notes to my friends in the area from an experienced snow driver:
1. TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON!!! I followed a white pickup truck in heavy snow going 21 mph in a 55mph zone with no lights on. He was very difficult to see.
2. DON'T TAILGATE! Give yourself room to watch what the special person in front of you is doing so you can react to it and not slam on your brakes and either rear end them or slide off the road.
3. CLEAN YOUR WINDOWS! I know snowbrushes aren't common down here but take some effort to clean your windows off so you can see.
4. DRIVE AT A STEADY RATE! If you can't bring yourself to drive above idle speed -- get off the road. You are a bigger hazard than the snow.
I drive 53 miles to work 30 of which is interstate and the rest is 2 lane highway. The interstate wasn't bad. I saw some accidents but things kept moving. The two lane roads tried ever bit of patience I have. I expect 2+ hours to get home tonight as well and possibly some issues tomorrow morning but then we are back to warmer temperatures reminding me of why I moved here. Hopefully everyone will stay safe today and the people that do get into accidents won't be injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your thoughts into words!